Both Sides Now, Inc
Gay Lesbian Ohana Maui
Both Sides Now has been rooted in Maui Hawaii for 21 years and has been
Incorporated as a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization for 10 years. A Board
of Directors (BOD) oversees and manages the entity in terms of no more than
two years run concurrently. As required, a charter or by-laws were written
and amended, as the as the individual BOD's have come and gone, changed,
grew, and modernistic ideas were introduced.
The basic philosophy will ever remain. "The purpose of this organization
shall be toward the promotion of mutual cooperation, celebration and group
interaction as expressions of our sisterhood and brotherhood, who are linked
together by an indissoluable chain. On this basis we form our friendships
and establish connections, as a forum for social interaction, advocacy for
full legal and social rights for gay, lesbian and bisexual people."
Goals and Objectives
BSN-GLOM will attempt to reach its goals through education, outreach, political
action, health and social agenda as it works towards improving the quality
of life and full acceptance of the members chosen lifestyle.
- 1) To embrace and honor our rich diversity
- 2) To work against oppression, within our local community and the community
- 3) To offer social activities and venues that reflect the needs of our
The character emblems of BSN Inc., were recently included; the kneeling
petroglyph symbolic of serving our community. The triangle and rainbow which
are symbolic throughout all gay and lesbian organizations (since the 70's).
Most recently the addition of a tree, symbolic of life, to embrace growth,
health, and continuation, to honor our "roots" as well as our
future. (Our future lies in the contribution of the acreage in Kula donated
by a generous supporter, on which we prepare to plant lavishly with trees
and build a community center .) The summer of 96 a contest was held for
submition of a new logo, the entries were numerious and a single entry was
chosen from a local artist. See new logo soon.
More on BSN
The various branches of our organization have sprouted to thrive and prosper
and yet many boughs have not come to bear the sweet fruit intended nor are
no longer feasible or current goals**.
- The Officers of the BOD - to organize, implement and motivate for the
improvement of the quality of life for our gay, lesbian and bisexual community.
- Out in Maui - to inform our community
- Social Activities - to unite our community
- Supporters - to nourish and affirm the fundamentals to equal rights
of all individuals.
- Land Project - to establish a material connection with the encircling
- The Hotline - 244.4566 to keep abreast and inform of current news in
the interim of the paper.
- Marriage Project - to inform and support our community in the political
arena, to inform and support our community for equal rights as a minority
- *The Culture & Arts Center* - plaqued seats for our members to enjoy
exclusively and purchased as good will in the community
- *Helplines* - a male and female representative to speak to in times
of distress, exploring ideas, or sharing news.
- *Hui O Wahine* - A womens softball team, that played successfully for
A Commitment to the Future
The BSN Board of Directors invites appicants to apply for the Board. Men
and women who wish to develop and strengthen their team building skills
the Board of Directors for more information.